Skinny Jeans

There's a huge stigma in our day and age surrounding body image. While a huge influx of body positivity has brightened the internet, of course there are still those overly opinionated few who just have to make themselves heard. Some decide that 200 pounds is some kind of cut-off number over which bikinis and crop tops must be unequivocally banned, some throw around jokes and memes, and some are more vicious and target individuals. A lot of people have been amazing at firing back at body shaming, like Sara Petty, Gracie Actually, and a host of influential celebrities.

It's no surprise that people come in all shapes and sizes - women and men, despite the female focus - and from reading a variety of posts from the interweb, it seems the majority of people are very good at accepting and appreciating this. Maybe a lot of them are just polite enough to keep opinions to themselves. But we all know that despite this variation in figure, we should know where the line is - we should be aware of the difference between 'loving your curves' and threatening your health. It's something that cannot be allowed to become murky, with obesity at 25.6% in 2014 and still rising. As I'm studying as a vet student, it's something I'm definitely concerned about seeing in my patients, and recent research is increasingly indicating that companion animal and owner obesity are linked with greater complexity than previously thought. So I think we can use our increasing body support (I'm totally going to call it that from now on) to encourage those who are working hard for themselves and to remind them all that they are beautiful so long as they are kind, because beauty  body.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/106907690/roald-dahl-giclee-print-if-you-have-good

But has anyone turned their attention to the other end of the spectrum? Do we ever think about the people who are skinnier than average? The people who have bones to hug, rather than curves? Well, I'm one of them. And to be honest, I'm starting to get really tired of the inequality here. I usually wear baggy clothes, and 99% of the time it's because they don't fit me very well, but when I suddenly push the boat out on a pair of leggings or tights and a skirt, it is more than common for someone I know to cry out, "Woah! You're so skinny!"

Now what would happen if, in retort, I cried out, "Woah! You're so fat!" I'd be met with shocked faces and a pregnant silence, right? What is that?! I think that maybe people don't see it as a problem to call out on someone being thin because it's seen as ideal. I eat what I want and don't put on weight, and people think that I have it easy. Okay, I'm not going to use this post as a rant about how that's not the case - about how my hands turn blue on the first day of December, or how I'm not allowed to give blood, or how I'm too skinny for my skinny jeans (I'm done, I promise) - but why is this sort of thing not seen as negative, as equally as shaming an overweight person?

Maybe every time someone tells me I look unhealthy adds up. Maybe I start to look at myself negatively too. And maybe I start to resent the shops who make those jeans that don't fit. Maybe when I get changed and catch a glimpse of my ribs, or my hips, casting shadows over my skin, I wish I looked different. And I think that's just as bad as shaming a fat person.

In response to all the body positivity flying around, I am learning to love my bones. Because I am healthy. I eat good food, proper meals, I stay hydrated, and I cycle to and from vet school every day. I work my brain hard and then I give it good breaks. I am healthy - but that's not what makes me beautiful. Because we are souls with bodies, not bodies with souls.

I made this a few years ago, when the beautiful Angie Harmon was my hero.She is still an important role model for me.

So I'm making this blog post a request. Please stop doing it. Just stop. Skinny or fat, bones or curves, tall or short, boobs or considerable lack thereof. We are all beautiful. I am beautiful. Let's run with that.

Thank you for reading, and be kind.

  

This is me wearing baggy everything at the House with the Blue Door in Notting Hill, and me wearing skinny jeans that actually fit (by some miracle) as I pose for my cute dad outside the new vet school buildings, looking totally adorable (and modest).


Comments

Popular Posts